Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2011

Going going gone...

So recent news is that borders around the world have been filing for bankruptcy and are now going out of businesses. What does that mean for our need of books? Is Barnes and Noble the only main chain bookstore left among all of the family owned and mom and pop bookstores? Will we still be able to use our Kindles even with the main store to buy books from gone? Those are my thoughts and questions with this latest book epidemic and Im going to try to find some articles and answers for those questions. If you have any other questions that you think I might be able to answer let me know and I will do the best that I can with my resources.

First what does this mean for books everywhere: I think that this means that the use of paper back and hard back books is on a decline. I have seen this more recently with all of the e-readers out there bringing in more online books rather than buying the books that take up space. Sure I think that things like the kindle and the nook are great, but it is lessening the value of book stores and touchable books. Its helping places like Amazon thrive, but making local book stores file for bankruptcy. Book stores provide jobs for the community, e-books let Amazon keep the jobs they already have.

Barnes and Noble: So far it is the biggest chain still left of all the book stores, though I have seen a few of the filing for bankruptcy too. How long until they close their doors forever? Well hopefully not for a while or else costs of getting paper books will skyrocket since all we will have to use is local bookstores. I have notice that when you want to order a book thats not popular from a local bookstore that they have to inflate the price by a few dollars. That price will go up if they end up being the only book stores we have left.

Kindles: So yes you can still use your Kindles even with Borders gone. It just means that your going to have to get most of your e-books from Amazon or other websites that you find online. I don't know if its the same for the Kindle but my Nook connects directly to Barnes and Noble to buy books. If it is the same for the Kindle I hope that maybe it will just connect directly to Amazon or the internet when the stores are gone.

So there you have it. That is all the information I have gotten on this topic so far, but I'll keep looking for more updates and if anyone else knows anything you should leave some comments. Or just if you have questions that you want me to find the answers for leave a comment.

1 comment:

Tydorius said...

I neglected your blog after so long without any posts. :D I completely missed this one.

It saddens me that a place like Borders, which I always went to before Barnes and Nobles, has to close. It's just a sign of how poorly managed the economy has been. One of my favorite places in Chicago was the four story Border's book store across from the Hancock building.

It's just disappointing.